Tuesday, April 14, 2009

The First Service

Black Mamba was due for its first service. Since I have given the free M7 engine oil to my dad, I decided to buy the Blitz engine oil and Redline gear oil from N1 Racing, Sunway for my car this time.




Post-Service Comments:

1. Blitz Racing Engine Oil: I have never tried any Blitz product before as I've always stick to one brand, namely Motul. But this 5W-40 grade Super Synthetic oil is quite nice for the K20A engine. The HVI (High Viscosity Index) is the main reason for me to buy this as I prefer not to wait for my car to warm-up early in the morning. Hey its a 2005 engine yo. Whats warming-up by the way?

2. Redline Lightweight Shockproof Gear Oil: I had a very bad experience with failed gearbox syncromesh on my B16A previously. I have used the thinner Motul FF-LSD, 90PA and Castrol GTX but the gear seems to be crunching more and more. The gearbox was then rebuilt with new syncromesh and I started using this Redline ever since (the oil looks very dirty, blueish color and very thick). So for this first service, Im using the same oil for Black Mamba's SM4C gearbox. As you know that lots of DC5R has the 2nd gear crunching issue (they even created a petition in ClubRSX.com to be given to Acura), and mine is the same. Although it is not as bad and as often as my Civic but the sound of the gear grinding to each other is really annoying. Once I have put in the 'blue elixir', the gearbox is definitely smoother and finally, I can sleep soundly at night.

3. Costs (some discounts were given, you need to ask):

a. Blitz Engine Oil = RM130 x 3 Cans (4 ltrs each - extra for next service)
= RM390.00
b. Redline Gear Oil = RM55 x 2 Bottles = RM110.00
c. OEM Oil Filter + Labor (Hiper Racing) = RM65 (Just because I drive a DC5, it has to be expensive)

Redline -
http://www.redlineoil.com/products_gearlubricants.asp?productID=43&subCategoryID=16&categoryID=6

1 comment:

Candour Reality Zeal said...

good maintenance practice.mine still got reverse gearing issue....maybe a transplant will help...